Rules of Origin Hybrid Workshop
Learn how to determine and certify the origin of your products
Rules of origin are a particularly challenging area for many businesses. It’s a complex area that includes: 1) product-specific rules of origin, 2) origin provisions, and 3) origin certification. If the requirements in any of these three areas are not met, tariffs are due. Getting this wrong can be expensive.
All products traded internationally need to have a place of origin listed on a customs declaration – preferential when there is a trade agreement allowing traders to reduce customs duty, or non-preferential in all other cases.
Rules of origin can be a particularly challenging area for businesses due to their complexity – they tend to differ depending on the product and agreement. Some of the rules come from domestic customs legislation and are not covered in the text of the trade agreements. Businesses wishing to take advantage of trade agreements need to be able to navigate these rules or risk not being compliant and having their claim rejected. Getting this wrong can be expensive.
Learn how to determine the origin of any product and understand how to correctly apply product-specific rules of origin, origin provisions such as cumulation, and certify origin.
This hybrid workshop is a hands-on, interactive training course that cuts through the complexity and legalese and teaches you all you need to know about origin.
In the workshop, Dr Anna Jerzewska will draw on well over a decade of experience with rules of origin. Anna has delivered rules of origin training for many private sector clients, the Department for International Trade, the Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy, and devolved administrations. She was the subject matter expert behind the World Trade Organisation and World Customs Organisation rules of origin online tool and has a PhD in this field. Anna will share the tips and tricks of the trade used by customs consultants and officers that you can apply step-by-step to determine the origin of your products.
Find out more about Hybrid Customs Skills Workshops and what’s included
Find out more about your coach
What does the Rules of Origin Hybrid Workshop cover?
- Where to find rules of origin for your product under any trade agreement?
- How to understand product-specific rules of origin?
- When would you need to recalculate value-added content?
- What are wider origin provisions such as de minimis, rules for sets and the principle of territoriality, and when do companies need to pay attention to them?
- What are the different types of cumulation and how to use them?
- How to use cumulation of working and processing?
- What is extended cumulation and what documents do you need to hold to use it under UK’s continuity deals?
- Complex supply chain and origin – how to deal with third-party invoicing?
- What is the approved exporter scheme and REX?
- What are suppliers’ declarations and who needs them?
- Can a product lose originating status?
- How to certify origin?
- What documentary evidence do you need to have in case of an audit?
- Is it worth applying for an origin ruling?
- What origin to declare when there is no trade agreement in place?
- What is substantial transformation and when simple assembly is no longer simple?
Watch Dr Jerzewska talk about rules of origin
Want to attend?
If you would like to ask about availability, please fill in the form below.