Commodity Codes Hybrid Workshop
A commodity code is a number between eight to fourteen digits. All products crossing a border need to have a commodity code. There are over 11,000 codes organised in 98 chapters of the Tariff. It’s the most important element of any import or export declaration as it determines:
- The rate of duty you pay
- Rate of VAT
- Additional taxes such as excise duties or anti-dumping duties
- Special requirements or restrictions – e.g., whether you need a license
- Rules of origin under trade agreements, including between the UK and the EU
As a business, you are legally liable for providing the correct commodity code. However, many companies either outsource this to third parties for a fee, or undertake a perfunctory review with limited access to the tools and knowledge available to complete the classification correctly.
Learn how to use commodity codes correctly and take ownership of the process of determining what duty rates and requirements your products are subject to. Classifying your products in-house will save you time and money and help ensure that your company is compliant while also optimising your customs bill. It will allow you to choose a more advantageous code whenever possible.
The commodity codes hybrid workshop is a hands-on, interactive training course that will teach you how to classify any product step-by-step and enable you to pick up practical tips and tricks used by consultants and customs officers.
In this hybrid workshop, Dr Anna Jerzewska will draw on almost a decade of experience classifying products for private sector clients. She will share the tips and tricks of the trade used by customs consultants and officers that you can apply step-by-step to classify your products.
Find out more about Hybrid Customs Skills Workshops and what’s included
Find out more about your coach
What does the Commodity Codes Hybrid Workshop cover?
- Basic information about commodity codes: what you need to know about their structure and purpose
- Different types of commodity codes: how do you know you’re using the right one?
- Basic background on how commodity codes are harmonised and updated
- The Tariff and how to read it
- Basic rules of classification
- Specific language and logic of classification based on participants’ examples
- Where to find help?
- Step-by-step classification exercise
- Tips and tricks of the trade
- Borderline cases – what to do when more than one commodity code can be used?
- The risks of using the wrong commodity code – what to watch out for?
- What to do when HMRC or other customs authorities question the commodity codes you declared?
- Classification rulings – can they be beneficial for your business?
What people are saying about this workshop
The course was fantastic and I learned a huge amount!
I thought how interactive it was made a huge difference as Commodity Codes need to be a very hands on experience when learning about them. There is such a huge amount of information that it can be very confusing and hard to interpret but the course made it very easy to understand.
Mark and Chappell
The course content was thorough and thank you for the follow-on materials and web-links, which together covered the subject in great detail.
Your insights demonstrated both a depth of knowledge as well as a practical and pragmatic understanding of the needs of businesses.
I enjoyed the easy conversational style of the workshop and with your in-depth experience and connections, really helped bring the topic to life.
Former British Chambers of Commerce Executive Director responsible for supervision of UK Trade Facilitation
What Dr Anna Jerzewska says
“Finding the right commodity codes is not easy. Classification is a bit like a puzzle. If you know the rules – have the key – and understand how it all works – it can be incredibly an incredibly useful tool. It can even be fun!
On the other hand, declaring the wrong commodity code is one of the most common reasons that companies get into trouble with HMRC and other customs authorities. It’s one of the key reasons for non-compliance.
Join us to learn how to classify from someone who does this for clients on a daily basis – you’ll never need to pay someone else to classify your products again, gaining a useful skill and saving your business money.”
Want to attend?
If you would like to ask about availability, please fill in the form below.